Because the 9th-grade Aesthetics class studies Byzantine art and architecture, their teacher, Lori Lawing, arranged a visit to St. Nektarios Greek Orthodox Church in Charlotte. In keeping with one of the the goals of classical education, this field trip integrated a number of different areas of learning:
- The students experienced firsthand how architecture can reflect a culture.
- The students saw inscriptions written in Greek, a language they have begun to learn at Greyfriars.
- The Father who gave the tour explained various traditions of the Greek Orthodox Church. This led to a number of conversations between students and their teacher and chaperones (not to mention parents, presumably), touching upon both history and theology.
Over 50 students, parents and teachers at Greyfriars Classical Academy participated in our 2016 Service Day, part of our fall fundraising campaign*.
This year’s Service Day was an opportunity to serve the Charlotte community through projects all over the city, such as:
• Preparing and serving lunch at the Charlotte Rescue Mission (http://charlotterescuemission.org). [Note: pictures were not permitted at this location.]
• Cleaning, outside trimming/weeding, and sanitizing toys at the HELP Crisis Pregnancy Center in Monroe (http://www.monroehelpcpc.net).
• Spray painting light poles, and cutting/clearing bushes and trees at Reformed Theological Seminary, Charlotte (http://rts.edu/charlotte/).
Greyfriars Classical Academy (GCA) is a classical Christian school (located in Matthews, NC), which intentionally keeps its tuition at a level that is affordable for most families. Current tuition covers only 84% of the cost of educating a student while the remainder comes from our fundraising efforts.
*To date, we have received more than half of our $50,000 goal. If you believe in affordable, excellent Christian education for the Charlotte area, please go to: http://greyfriarsclassical.org/about-gca/support-gca/
[Additional pictures are available on our Facebook page, www.facebook.com/greyfriarsca/.]
Join us Friday, November 11, 2016, for an Open House for families of prospective students, from 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
At the Open House you will have an opportunity to:
• hear about our university model (3 days a week)
• meet faculty and students
• tour the campus
• hear about our courses
• have your questions answered
• review the application process
• talk to a currently-enrolled Greyfriars family